Search This Blog

Sunday 18 September 2011

Week 5 - ICT and World Change

This week, we explored ICT and World Change. We went through some various aspects and innovations of this field including Web 3.0, Cloud Computing, Gaming, Wireless Technologies, etc.


Of course, there will never be enough time to go through all the various aspects of this revolutionary field which has enveloped the most part of our lives. From the electromagnetic waves that surround us to our beloved smartphones, tablets and computers, ICT pervades us. Nevertheless, I would like to describe some of my random thoughts about this  topic and our session.


I learnt about the existence of CKO's (Chief Knowledge Officers), whose job is to ensure that their organizations maximise the value they achieve from their intellectual capital. They are responsible for gathering the laws and condensing the culture of a firm so that they can be preserved and instilled in future employees. 

Without a doubt, the Internet is the single most influential aspect in our modern lives. The amazing rate at which the Web is evolving towards Web 3.0 shows just how exciting a time this is to be alive! The idea of having a web browser as your personal assistant, or rather, an extension of yourself is sublime! The effect it will have on humans’ ability to be efficient will be revolutionary! I can visualise myself talking to my mirror every morning, planning my day. I could tell my phone to keep my home air-conditioned when I return home! The possibilities are endless!


“The most exciting breakthroughs of the 21st century will not occur because of technology but because of an expanding concept of what it means to be human”  


John Naisbitt 

Interestingly, I have chosen Cloud Computing for my Individual Topical Review Paper because I strongly believe that the Cloud has had, and will continue to have, an exponentially disruptive impact on our world. I am fascinated by the possibilities of seamless integration of our services through a common source; allowing us to access profound processing power anytime, anywhere and through any computing device. 

I must say that I am astounded by Microsoft’s Project Natal. It is a truly mesmerizing breakthrough in human-to-computer interaction. I can’t fathom how complex and superior this technology is; to me, it is almost magical for a computer to have such human-like thoughts, emotions and responses.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”  
- Arthur C. Clarke 

We also talked about the untapped potential of ICT in poverty alleviation, closing the digital gap between the rich and poor, as well as it's application in healthcare and agriculture. I feel that the sky is the limit in terms of the ability of ICT to empower people. Giving them access to information, enabling greater efficiency in processes are paramount and can be done best with the use of ICT.


“Today’s real borders are not between nations,
but between powerful and powerless,
free and fettered, privileged and humiliated.”
- Kofi Annan 

Lastly, I would like to reflect on my presentation. I believe that I presented confidently and effectively though the presentation could have been a little more concise. This might have been due to my enthusiasm about my topic and the fact that there was so much to say yet so little time. I would tell myself that I must continue to improve my speaking as well as listening skills as a  I feel that I have a long way to go before I become the business leader I dream of becoming. I am proud that I have the opportunities to hone my personality and leadership skills in such an esteemed university.


I'd give this session a 10

No comments:

Post a Comment